UH seeks a President & CEO who can continue to lead the clinical, operational, and financial transformations currently underway throughout the enterprise. As the only public hospital in the State of New Jersey, the hospital plays a critical role in mitigating health disparities, ensuring access to care for all who need it, and working with appropriate public health organizations in the community to optimize preventive health opportunities as well as health outcomes following illness.
UH has recently received significant investment, including investments in advanced and latest generation medical equipment. Additionally, the New Jersey state government authorized funding for the continued support of the hospital.
The President & CEO will be responsible to the Chair of the Board of Directors for the organization and management of UH in accordance with all applicable laws and the policies established by the Board of Directors, and subject to the direction of the Chair of the Board. The President & CEO provides leadership in support of the Board’s responsibility to develop and periodically review the mission, objectives, and strategic plan of the Hospital as an academic medical center.
Ideal candidates will include those who have a fundamental understanding of urban healthcare operations and delivery as well as engagement with local and state level government officials, and who can navigate successfully on behalf of the patients and employees they serve in this setting; a track record of working productively with academic partners and other key stakeholders; an internal and external relationship builder with a multi-year commitment to the institution and community at large; a history of commitment to patient safety along with the financial and operational leadership experience at a large health care institution, sufficient to be very successful in this regard; and an inspirational executive style that can develop and unite a leadership team to be high performing and collaborative.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with the Board of Directors to translate the vision, mission, and strategic plan of UH into realistic strategic goals and objectives, consistent with the needs of the greater Newark community, and the needs of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences and its medical, dental, and nursing schools.
- Establishes the functions and responsibilities of the Hospital’s senior leadership in consultation with the Board of Directors, and completes performance evaluations for all senior leadership who are direct reports, setting goals for the coming year.
- Develops and maintains positive and effective working relationships with the Medical Staff; works with the Medical Executive Committee to provide detailed reports to the Board of Directors as needed.
- Ensures that medical care provided by UH meets acceptable quality standards as established by applicable regulatory bodies and agencies. Establishes and supports robust Quality, Performance Improvement, and Patient Experience initiatives.
- Develops annual operating and capital budgets for the Board of Directors and oversees financial performance. Ensures the development and maintenance of accurate and reliable metrics for use in assessing UH’s operational and financial performance.
- Is responsible for the payment of all salaries and amounts due from and owing by the Hospital which fall within the purview and scope of the approved annual budget, or as otherwise may be established from time to time by resolution of the Board.
- Establishes an organizational structure to ensure accountability of all departments and staff for fulfilling the mission, objectives, and strategic plan of UH while ensuring compliance with the by-laws of the Hospital and all other federal and state statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Advises the Board of Directors about healthcare trends and legislative/regulatory issues, and assesses and recommends effective partnerships and affiliations for UH or other program expansions or changes.
- Represents the Hospital externally to the community, government, media, and other organizations and agencies. Communicates with related health care agencies to promote coordination and/or planning of local health care services.
- Attends meetings of the Board of Directors, the Community Oversight Board, and meetings of the Board of Directors’ committees.
- Performs duties as may be directed by the Chair of the Board and the Board of Directors.
Measurements of Success
- Establishes and develops relationships to evoke trust and alignment amongst the Board of Directors, Community, Executive team, and Staff, creating a tangible connection.
- Provides continued leadership and forward momentum regarding the Master Facility Plan.
- Drives and fosters continued dedication to improving actual and perceived quality of care at UH, and improved commitment to partnership with Rutgers to increase access to care for the community, area, and region.
Education & Experience
- An advanced degree in Business, Health Care Management, Medicine, Nursing, or other relevant field is required.
- Ten to fifteen (10-15) years preferred of progressive senior level health care experience, preferably in an academic medical center in an urban area.
- Previous success building a regional healthcare delivery system.
- Experience with large healthcare construction projects is highly preferred.
Leadership Skills & Competencies
- A history of developing and leading a high functioning leadership team.
- Strong business acumen, experience in healthcare operations, and financial expertise is critical.
- A fundamental understanding of the challenges and opportunities of leading a safety net hospital in an urban setting.
- Academic medical expertise, particularly that which requires building out opportunities with a medical school partner to benefit patients, research, and the institution.
- Demonstrated track record of measurable and clear accomplishments in other comparable healthcare leadership roles.
- A strategic thinker with strong analytic and negotiation skills. Must possess strong communication skills with an ability to lead change in an uncertain healthcare environment.
- Driven to relentlessly solve problems and build or improve on results.
Please send qualifications, cover email, and resume to: